Friday, December 10, 2004

The Ego Thing!

Well, I definitely debated a lot before raking up this issue. For one, it is something I havent found an answer for myself, yet. Also, it is a trifle dicey for a lot of friends and relatives but what the heck!

When I left for the US to study and make it big, my argument to the folks who wanted me to stay back was that there werent enough "good" jobs in India for my liking. By good I was referring to R&D and development positions in the telecommunications industry. I was true then and my argument held. The year was 2000.

But things changed, albeit dramatically in the next few years. Companies started moving their work,lock, stock and moneyed barrels to India and it all kept moving. Meanwhile I had completed my Masters and was starting to look for jobs. As luck would have it I got a good position working on a 3G protocol stack development project and was happy. But I was alarmed to know that there were a few hundred if not more people, doing the same work in India. The year was 2002.

Its 2004 now and I have since then changed jobs or rather clients, twice. The last two jobs are heavily testing oriented and while they have been pretty interesting and cutting edge, they are no different from the jobs in India. In fact in the last one year, I have had interview calls in India for extremely exciting, cutting edge wireless positions. Somehow I am unable to let go of my American dream of 2000. Why?

Are we, the Indians in America, or atleast a vast majority of us, living a lie ? Are we really doing jobs that are so great, they arent available or open to us at home ? For me, I think its an ego thing. I love my life here. I admit I miss my family and friends. But the independence and standard of living I get here is good enough for me to not want to go back. Those do make good reasons but isnt that different from what we came here for?. I am still soul searching on that one.

4 comments:

saranyan r said...

recently my brother-in-law went to India and set up a team at Siebel, Bangalore. he was just there for a month for the purpose and came back. his opinion is that even though we get similar jobs over there, the recognition is simply missing. well I don't know anything about that.
My case, I do acknowledge the good education that I got here and would like to spend some time here to gain experience. atleast the work I do is definitely not done in India.

The Last Blogger said...

Jagan
Yes, the standard of living seems to be a big lure to the US, even more than the usual job satisfaction reason. But then at this early stage of my career, I am trying to figure out which one is more important. The issue seems to be more confusing that I expected it to be.

Saran
I cant comment on respect at work place in India since I have never experienced it first hand. One thing that I do realise though is that most of the companies in India (MNCs or Indian) are huge and given that Indian brains are pretty good, its going to be hard task to make the big impact that one wants to.

hari said...

Hi,
I would not attribute it to ego in every case. There are some for whom it is a status symbol to hold a Green Card. But for most I would say that though there would not be much change in terms of the work life, but the quality of life beyond the office is what attracts them, just as Jagan had mentioned.

I hope it is the same with you too.

The Last Blogger said...

Hari
Thanks for the comment. I am not sure if you have read this fascinating book by Ayn Rand titled "The Anthem". If you do get a chance to read it (its only 120 odd pages) you will get a fantastic explanation to the word "Ego". Anyways, ego is not a bad thing. Its the feeling that you deserve something and should have it. So its not a bad thing but sometimes it can come in the way of more reasonable and logical decisions.

And yes, I do enjoy my life in the US and the standard of living that it has continued to offer me.

ESPN.com - MLB

Engadget