Saturday, December 25, 2004

Goodbye Texas !

I am leaving the Lone Star state to head towards greener and definitely much colder pastures of Pennsylvania. It has been a fun time in Texas. I arrived in summer when the heat was definitely unbearable but winter has been a very nice time indeed. Chill but not really depressingly cold. Since Irving has been my only experience away from the northeast, it would be interesting to compare the two regions.

Texas is wide, vast and huge - in all aspects. The roads are much wider with a lot of lanes, definitely much more than say the PA Turnpike or most areas of I-95. While there are a lot of people in TX too, the prevalence of more strip-malls mean that there is a greater sense of space and fewer people here than in Boston on NY where there are a lot of people everywhere. The street lights system is definitely a big plus in Irving while I sorely groped for light in the streets of eastern PA. Weather wise, the Texas area definitely gets pretty hot in summer and thats in Dallas. I cant imagine how hot it can get in San Antonio or Houston. But then the winters are definitely bearable. The same cannot be said for Philly or Boston where cold assumes a whole diffrerent meaning in January and February. Also, the year-long presence of an amazing Farmers Market is awesome for a fruit lover like me.

On the flip side, a weekend in Dallas offers very little option for the travel enthusiast. Not the same in the Northeast. From Philly for example, NYC is 2 hours, Boston is 5 hours, the Niagara and Toronto is 7 hours, Baltimore is 2 hours and Washington D.C is all of three hours. And each of these places require atleast 2-3 weekend trips to truly see everything that it has to offer. From Dallas, its Austin, Houston and San Antonio, again and again. I hear that Arkansas can be really beautiful in Fall but that is still all of 5 hours drive from here. I wish there were more things to do. Downtown Dallas when compared to the downtowns on Boston, NYC or Philly is really non-existent.

All said, it has been a great experience, the last 7 months in Dallas, TX. I have managed to enjoy the best of what Texas has to offer and hope to be back someday to visit the places I couldnt this time over-Houston, Corpus Christi and many more !

Till then, its sayonara Texas !


3 comments:

saranyan r said...

all the best for the second stint at KoP machi.

Sudarshan said...

Dude
What an irony that I chose to notice your description of the blog today " A tidal wave that has encompassed ".....

Anyways, a humble request, can you let your friends know about AID's rehabilitation fund. We have started the releif operations in AID Chennai and it is being carried out on a war footing...

Here is the website to contribute

http://survivors.aidindia.org

The Last Blogger said...

Saran
Thanks for the wishes.

Sud
I cannot express how sad I have been over the last few days. Ironies apart, fate could not have been any more cruel to the people in the affected parts.
I have already put in my personal contribution at the AID side and stuck two AID contribution posters outside my cube at work. Needless the say, I shall do all that I can to get as much support across as possible.

ESPN.com - MLB

Engadget