Sunday, January 02, 2005

The Big Apple

So I made on more trip to NYC on New Years Day (not the Eve, thanks but no thanks). There is something about the Big Apple that draws me to it time and again. And coming from a fanatic RedSox fan, it is something. The city has this aura of mystery and at the same time universal appeal. My wife, cousin and I landed at Times Square at night and true to its nature, the area was crowded and brimming with life. The place was abound with its trademark tourists and hawkers and lovers and families and singles looking for company. If there is one place in the world where every possible combination of the colors in the basic palette can be viewed, it is here. The electricity used up the the neon hoardings would be enowwwugh to light up a small nation for a week or more. For all its ostentatious display of color and money, the place appeals to your heart like none other on a breezy winter night.

I have visited Times Square enough times and more. But somehow I feel like going there again and again. It has a magnetic draw that is difficult to resist. I still have the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Central Park and the Guggenheim left to see (among the more popular tourist destinations, of course). Also in the list is a Broadway play with my wife which has been a dream for a long time. If only Bombay Dreams had lasted a little longer !

For the Indian in me, a trip earlier in the day to Queens and then the Hindu temple in Flushing, NY was a lot of fun. The temple was glorious and amidst the surging crowds on New Year's day, I spent a few minutes praying for a better year ahead. The tsunami definitely warranted a shout out to the dead and the future of the displaced and homeless survivors. The Indian canteen in the tempe campus was a great place to get some tasty south Indian food and if it were not for the hour long wait, the entire experience would have been just fantastic.

In all, it was a nice day long trip that definitely set the tone for more such future trips to the Big Apple.

Some photos from my trip can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/rangaprabhu


8 comments:

hari said...

Hi,

Wish you a very happy new year. The NY presentation was truly good. I could well visualise the beauty through your eyes. And the pictures just confirmed the vision.

The Last Blogger said...

Hari
Thanks for your wishes. Yep, NYC is a place to visit before you die. Its worth all of it and more !

saranyan r said...

nice pics dude.
so will you take me to NYC when I come to KoP :)

The Last Blogger said...

Saran
You are always welcome to Kop and yes, NYC will be a part of the trip and I shall be glad to serve as the tourist guide :)

The Last Blogger said...

Jagan
NYC on New Years was definitely a fun experience. Hope to return to the city soon !

The Last Blogger said...

Nalla comment. But I will atleast give a shot at being the guide to the Master Guide. Even though failure is imminent, atleast I will be happy that I gave it a shot.:)

saranyan r said...

haha nice try, east coast is not my cup of tea :-)
thanks for the complements though :)

The Last Blogger said...

You'll be the Master once you make a few trips this side.
Maybe if there was an incentive (like SFO) things would be a bit simpler :) ?

ESPN.com - MLB

Engadget