Monday, January 10, 2005

Swades: We, the people

This past weekend I got a chance to watch Swades, a new Hindi movie by the maker of Lagaan, starring Shah Rukh Khan. I have to say, it was a fantastic experience. Much has been written about whats wrong with the movie and why it flopped. Let me write whats right with the movie, especially since it assumes so much significance for all of the readers of this blog.

Swades is a story about an NRI finding out how much his country needs him and going back, "To light the bulb", to use the line from the movie. For once the hero is a flawed character who works with NASA and wants to continue doing his stuff in the US but when he makes a short trip to India, sees how much he can really make a difference. Before you can jump on the "movie on brain drain bandawagon", the protagonist gets to bounce his ideas on an illiterate lot in a God forsaken part of India. While I was watching the movie, so much of it made sense to me. A lot of it stuck me as so true. The idea that the country needs us is put across so beautifully. And before all the software engineers who sneer at us desis in US get to do their victory laps, let me say this. Folks, wake up and smell the coffee. SRK gets to exploding the myth that is so rampant in India that inspite of all illiteracy and poverty and corruption, we are the greatest country in the world because of our "culture and tradition". As SRK says, while we have the potential to become the greatest country in the world, we are nowhere close to it. So true. We talk of values while we can neither control the sleeze on screen nor the double standards of so called moral police like Shiv Sena. We talk of tradition and refuse to break away from the caste system that has almost ruined the education and public sector employment system. We call the western world as unmoralistic and what not. Hey, it doesnt hurt to do what you like and not hide behind moralistic morass.

The movie boasts of some fantastic music and meaninful lyrics to boot. Each song makes the viewer think deep. Something that is so sorely missing from the songs of today. There are thankfully no duets in Switzerland nor is there the comic sidekick to the hero. The movie tells as story and it does that really well.

Yes, our country needs us. As the Mela Ram character so succintly puts it, "Whats the use in putting a lamp outside your house that lights not yours but your neighbours porch". Someday we, or atleast I will go back home to do my best for my country. Until then I shall do my mite in helping my country progress, albeit indirectly. I would like to light my bulb someday, in India and while that day is not tomorrow, it sure isnt far away.

Do watch the movie and trust me, you wont walk away without thinking about it afterwards.

8 comments:

saranyan r said...

yeah I've read some mixed reviews about this movie. will probably watch it this weekend. I'll reserve my comments until then.

AR said...

உன்னால் முடியும் தம்பி - oru abstraction மேல தூக்கின மாதிரி இருக்கு. Great to see Indian commercial film makers making such movies.

தமிழ் cinema was closer to neo-realist commercial format in 1980s with Mahendran (உதிரி பூக்கள்), Dorai (பசி) and KB (தண்ணீர் தண்ணீர்) around. A series of unfortunate events meant that neo-realist தமிழ் cinema was never realized. Now we have new directors who can take us to that format inspite of our beloved Captain and others. If Bollywood succeeds then it gives the regional film makers confidence to make such movies instead of the staple melodrama.

The Last Blogger said...

Saran
Give it a shot. You wont regret it.
I was talking about it with my cousin in Columbia last evening and he was just blown away by the movie. There are scenes that echo long after you watch the movie.

The Last Blogger said...

Well said, Anand Sir. I hope there is a resurgence of realism in movies. I mean you can always work within the format of entertainment and still deliver a believable movie. Swades, even though flawed at places, attempts at bridging the gap between entertainment and realism and does so really well.

Sudarshan said...

Well written Last Blogger. I have never ever cried for a Hindi movie but the scene in which Shahrukh drinks the water sold by the little boy literally had me in tears and also when the bulb glows in the village. A moment that has been beautifully captured in print by Dilip D Souza in his blog (dcubed.blogspot.com)...

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and wish Indian directors make such movies more often...

The Last Blogger said...

Those moments were really well done. Not the amount of sentiment usually associated with a Hindi movie. But totally underplayed yet overwhelming.
I did read rediff's article on how Swades was inspired by the writings of Dilip D'souza.
Visited his blog for the first time today. Very interesting. Thanks for the link.

Vani Viswanathan said...

True true..
Its high time Indian movies, hindi in particular start taking a turn for the better. Its a sad story though, that the mass in general can't appreciate such a well-made movie as Swades...and all that they can find are mistakes and flaws...
Its nice to see that movies such as Swades and Black are getting recognized...Hindi films, I feel, are in one of their worse ever state, with almost ever other movie dwelling on themes of sex, extra marital affairs, and what not! Fine, they do try to portray reality, but why not try to portray some 'nicer' realities?
Subtle and nice, Swades makes a mark.

The Last Blogger said...

Vani
Welcome to my blog.
I totally enjoyed Swades and that does not even include the message it tried to convey. I havent seen Black yet and will wait on it until people tell me its worth the effort.
In the US, it takes an effort going to the theater to watch an Indian movie and unless the movie is worth the effort, you feel pissed off at the end of the day.

ESPN.com - MLB

Engadget