Sunday, March 27, 2005

If there is heaven on Earth, its here, its now !

Being an Indian classical music afficionado in the tri-state area is a great feeling. The plethora of interesting concerts in the summer is a fantastic experience, embellished by the fact that I finally have the company, time and resources to enjoy them to my hearts fill.
The season formally kicked off last week with a fusion music concert featuring the violin duo of L.Shankar and Gingger. Playing their unique double violin, the artists pwww.srurovided a unique experience to the audience with a blend of western and Indian classical music. Between a fantastic Kamboji and pieces from the movie, The Passion of the Christ, there were eclectic compositions that were rooted in Indian classical music, yet made the best use of classical western jazz elements. In all, a great experience, topped by a personal tete-a-tete with ex-Shakti violinist, Shankar himself.
Last night, my wife and I were treated to an amazing violin performance by son and daughter of violin maestro Lalgudi Jayaraman, G.J.R.Krishnan and Vijayalakshmi at the local Chinmaya Mission center. A four hour marathon, the concert was brilliant. Completely relying on the classical underpinnings of the artists, the selection of Ragas was wide and thoughtful. Starting with a varnam in Kannada (you read it right, not Kanada), the violin virtuosos appealed to the connoiseurs of Carnatic music with their krithis in Kalavathi, Ranjani, Kedaragowla, Reethigowla, a detailed piece in Kalyani and RTP (Ragam, Thanam, Pallavi) in Hindolam. The latter was accentuated with a casual change of Raga to Kanada, Bhoopalam, Neelambhari and Hamsanandhi. Not to disappoint the casual audience, the Lalgudi siblings played some janaranjaga pieces like Theeradha Vilayattu Pillai (Ragamalika), Rama Mantrava (Jaunpuri), Manasasancharare (Shyama), Kurai Ondrum Illai (an MS piece - Ragamalika) and finally a Lalgudi Thillana in Misra Mandu. The experience was just awesome and I cant wait for more from the duo.
Next week is a Sruti concert, a jugalbandi this time with prodigies Ravikiran (Chitraveena) and Shashank (flute) followed the week after by another jugalbandi with Ustad Zakir Hussain and Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma.
For the music lover in me, its just about close to perfection and I am in heavenly music bliss right now. I know this post probably appeals to a select few but I had to put it down since it was such a great feeling last night after the concert.

13 comments:

saranyan r said...

damn man, I envy you :) I'm hoping to go to some of these concerts here in LA.
Its actually a rare thing for having a music season dominated by stars from the south, like you have. Enjoy it and keep posting your experiences.

Sudarshan said...

I netiher understand Carnatic or Hindustani but the one thing I do know is Pt.ShivKumar Sharma is phenomenal and is just outta the world seeing him perform....

We hosted in AID Tempe and I had a chance to interact with him a little bit in person and I cannot believe such a high flying man is so low profile and humble. To quote a cliche " Humility is the hallmark of greatness"

The Last Blogger said...

Saranyan
I envy myself :)
Given that I enjoy both Carnatic and hindustani music, although I was formally trained only in the former, its a lot of fun attending these events and get to listen live to these exceptionally talented people.

Sudarshan
I remember going for a Shiv Kumar Sharma concert long time back in Coimbatore but memories are sparse of the same. Hoping to meet the man himself if possible when he comes here.

Twin-Gemini said...

I have been to a lot of concerts here in Chicago, although I dont know carnatic music to the extent you seem to be knowing. Been always on my to-do list to learn some stuff about the different ragas and such from the net (a little exposure to carnatic music during my childhood, seems to keep the interest growing), but never got around to learning it.

Chakra said...

lucky u man...

though I was never able to appreciate the intricacies in Carnatic music as much as u do, I am an avid listener. While living in London I used to make it whenever I hear of a concert.. but not these days.

Happy to find someone blogging abt his experiences.. thats a gud post.

The Last Blogger said...

Twin-Gemini
I have been moving around the country so much that I havent had the chance to catch up with as much carnatic as I would like to. I hope to attend much more from now on.

Chakra
Thanks for the comment. I have been brought up with carnatic music ringing in my ears, literally. I cant dissociate myself from that identity of mine and I like that.

Prabha said...

Hey!
looks like you are thoroughly enjoyin urself..Have a great time..And post about how it was too :)

Nth Dimension said...

Looks like its the Tri-State version of Maargazhi concert season of Chennai. Enjoy.

The Last Blogger said...

Prabha
Thanks for stopping by and yes, I am having a whole lot of fun.

Ramesh
Even if the music season here is 1/10th as good as what I used to enjoy in Coimbatore, leave alone Madras, I am all game.

Anonymous said...

Off topic-
What do you guys think of this (www.kiruba.com). He is hanging up the boots after 5 years of active blogging.

I know more readers will be reading the comments section and hence posting it here.
Ranga, hope you don’t mind

The Last Blogger said...

Hellboy
Not a problem. I'd advise you repost the same in my new post (which overlapped your comment here) so that people will do enough justice to it.

My personal opinion:
I didnt read Kiruba's until yesterday when it got so much attention everywhere. For some reason, his old posts are not visible and hence I'd never know how interesting it was. But going by reactions, it seems he was a pioneer.

Ranj said...

Aahaa! Now you're speaking the universal language (posting this after reading your entry on English writing)! I know exactly what you mean. I have listened to all of them live, except L SHankar. L Subramaniam - my favourite though and VIOLIN .... WOW WOW WOW.

Still learning to play alankaarams on violin and I have been training for a year now! Hats off to violin, carnatic music and our musical high!

The Last Blogger said...

Ranj
A musical high is indeed the right way to put it.
I remember seeing the L brothers in concert very long time back in coimbatore. L.Shankar is now all into fusion and stuff. Subramaniam is still in touch with his carnatic roots as one of my recent online hearings demonstrated. No idea on what LV is upto (His signature tune for Malgudi Days still echoes in my ears).
That said, good that you are learning violin. An excellent instrument to learn. I am thinking of wading the vocal waters, again after a very long gap. Lets see if and how that experiment goes.

ESPN.com - MLB

Engadget