Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Eppadi Padinaro

With the music season in full swing in the Philly area, I have been transported to the temples and auditoriums in Coimbatore where I had first listened to the masters of Carnatic music. The music season used to last all year long and all the top artists had Coimbatore in their itinerary. Be it Corporation Kalai Arangam where the ITC concerts took place or Ramar temple in Ramnagar where there were Aradhanas all year long, it was sheer pleasure listening to the stalwarts. The year end festival at Ayyappan Puja Sangam and the Pongal Music Festival at my alma mater, Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, not only featured the maestros but also had slots for now and upcoming artists.

I remember my parents leaving early while my brother and I joined them later. Those days! Ragam Thanam Pallavis were not my cup of tea and the thukkadas were my primary reason to attend concerts. As I grew older and understood music and its nuances better, the significance of RTP sunk into me. I was hooked onto them, thereon. The quick breaks to the nearby bhelpuri stall or the Pazhamudir Nilayam during the Thaniyavardhanam are still fresh in my mind.

Besides getting a chance to interact with the artists, concerts were a place where one could forget all worries and just enjoy wonderful music all evening long. The amusing banter of the critics and the teary eyes of the ardent music fan were very much a part of the experience. Beyond all those wonderful concerts, the nightly listening sessions at home with family over hot Milo or Horlicks are some of my best memories of life in Coimbatore.

Today with concerts in the US being as frequent as they are, I miss my balmy evening trysts with Carnatic music in good old Coimbatore. Someday I hope to get back to that life with far fewer worries and far more music and peace.

15 comments:

Narayanan Venkitu said...

TLB, I am reminded of the Festival season in Madras. Of late I feel it has become commercial but..it is all fun to go to the Sabhas and listen to the maestros. I am a big fan of U.Srinivas and Kadri-G and I never miss the concerts even these days when I travel to India in December.

Like you said...even though we get a lot of concerts in the US these days, something is lacking.!!

saranyan r said...

Our school Baharatiya Vidya Bhavan is doing a wonderful job in conducting the Pongal Music Festival. I used to attend them too.
and before that we had a surprise concert from the great Ravi Kiran, I guess we were in 6th or 7th then. It was exclusively for the students and I felt really happy :)
Man, I miss those days too.

hari said...

Hi Last Blogger,

That narration made Coimbatore life more than a paradise and yeah, an evening of music after a long day is definitely the best way to de-stress.

Been in Cbe myself for more than a decade, I appreciate it is the best place to have a relaxed life. I miss it too, my friend.

ammani said...

I agree. It's such a shame that Tamil songs were clubbed as 'Thukkada'. Sort of like crumbs. What they didn't realise that they are often the most delicious bits.
Slight digression. About your q in my comment box, it's mostly the latter. Initially, homesickness was painful like a severed limb. But I've grown used to it and it's no more than a gnawing pain. Hope that suffices as an answer :) Thank you.

The Last Blogger said...

NV (this short form seems weird)
I have attended that rare concert in Madras but most of my listening experiences were restricted to Coimbatore. And yes, even with all the effort put in by the organizers in the many concerts in the US, I miss that Indian atmosphere.

Saran
My father tells me that the Pongal music festival is gaining from strength to strength every year (he is in the organizing committee).

The Last Blogger said...

Hari
Coimbatore is indeed more than a paradise. Its not as big as say, Chennai or Bangalore and while it doesnt have as many things to do for the occasional visitor, it has all the trappings of a wonderful haven for the resident.

ammani
I am not sure who and why the "Thukkadas" name came about. Would be an interesting bit of trivia to know. And responding to your digression, I think your answer will do for now.

Badri said...

Carnatic concerts are like a 3 course meal
Varnam and other fast songs upfront-STARTERS
Rtp-MAIN COURSE
Thukkadas-DESERT
It is best enjoyed when consumed in that fashion.But all the artistes are not exceptional.The good ones are real treasures.

The Last Blogger said...

Badri
As one who attended many of those concerts with me, you should know.

For those who are wondering what I meant by the above comment, Badri is my younger brother who is equally if not better versed in Carnatic music compared to me.

Anonymous said...

Yo badri, so you are rangas brother. Good man, so should I call you “The latest blogger” ?

Ranga, classical music is like greek and latin to me(don’t know a,b,c or is it R,T,P??). I know it is not for everyone. My knowledge in carnatic music starts and ends with sindhu bairavi and in that movie too I like “thani thodi thedi” song more than others.

The Last Blogger said...

Hellboy
What can I say ?. Someday when you do discover carnatic music, you'll get to know how fantastic it is. While I am not as objective as I should be about this, I can tell you its about the best form of music I have heard all life and I have heard quite a few varieties I must say.

Badri said...

BVB Pongal Music Festival had a grand 10th anniversary this pongal.U.V.Srinivas,Sudha Raghunathan,T.M.Krishna,Sanjay Subramaniam and Vijay Siva performed.There was also lot of dedications to the Nightingale,Late Mrs.M.S.Subbulakshmi.

Chakra said...

TLB, lucky you man! :)

Twin-Gemini said...

Prabhu
Puthandu Nal Vazhthukkal!

Sangeeta said...

My aunts used to sing that song all the time.. I mean..Eppadi Padinaro

The Last Blogger said...

Chakra
I thank my stars everyday too.

Sangeetha
Its an excellent song set to Raga Karnataka Devaganthari (some also attribute the song to Bhimplas).

ESPN.com - MLB

Engadget