Monday, April 18, 2005

Lunch with Rajini and tea with Kamal

Well, it didnt exactly happen the way the title makes it out to be, but it got pretty close. After a long time, I got to see two movies back to back on the same day and that too featuring the last two superstars of tamil cinema. What was supposed to be an afternoon showing of Chandramukhi ended being a double bill with an evening show of Mumbai Express (in tamil, of course). I am not going to review the two movies in detail since fellow bloggers Saran and Jagan have done it already. I will try to compare the two and see how it all pans out.

Chandramukhi is the unlikeliest superstar movie I have seen in the last few years. I mean it has the least Rajini screen time and very few superstar'isms. Gone are the multiple fights, the mannerisms that only Rajini can get away with, the cigarette thigie and what not. In its place is a family friendly ambience with more people in every frame and a story to boot. I had not seen the Malayalam original. So the story was new to me. It was definitely interesting and while it could have been done better, it was definitely not boring and the masala was not excessive. Sans the occasional praising-over-the-top of Rajini and the abominable acting of Jyothika (whoever chose her for the role deserves a kick in the posterior), the movie was derfinitely worth my trip to North Bergen, NJ.

After a half hour trip to the Edison, NJ and a nice snack at Hot Breads, we settled down to watch Mumbai Express. The movie started off hilariously and the humor was excellent. The gags kept coming non-stop and I loved the first half of the movie a lot. It was physical comedy at its best and hats off to Kamal for the screenplay until that point. Once the movie reaches half time, the gags slow down to a trickle and while the movie is still funny and all, the jokes dont elicit that many laughs. The plot gets contorted and well, the story totally loses steam. By the time the climax arrives, you are almost thankful. What could have been a crisp and excellent 2 hour movie ends up being an almost-fantastic but part boring 3 hour experience. While the movie still is way ahead of what goes by the name of comedy in Indian cinema today, it could have been much better with some editing in the second half. Kamal, Pasupathy, Vyapuri and Ramesh Aravind are excellent and on the opposite side of the spectrum, the kid and Manisha Koirala are awful.

Between the two movies, as always, Chandramukhi is more mass friendly while Mumbai Express carries the Kamal stamp of intelligence. The former will unquestionably do much better than the latter. For me, the experience of seeing the two movies on the same day was phenomenal. I have'nt lapped up to any actor since the days of Rajini and Kamal and now I know why. What these stars bring to the table is much more than just histrionics. They bring a level of enjoyment to me and a sense of nostalgia of my youth that is unsurpassed by any other. They make watching Indian movies a sheer joy, as it was always supposed to be.

15 comments:

Prabha said...

Wow!!Ideal day..two movies that too chandramukhi and mumbai xpress..its been so difficult to get hold of tickets here :(
So both are worth watching?
Heard similar views about both the movies!!

The Last Blogger said...

Well, if you watch new tamil movies otherwise, these two are more than watchable.

saranyan r said...

guys, I liked ME. yeah the climax was different, but aren't you bored of the old ones. I'm gonna buy this DVD when it comes to the market :)

I guess Chandramukhi will do all the collection, don't think ME will stand any chance. and I don't even want to mention the third movie in the same breadth (ain't worth it) :)

The Last Blogger said...

Saran
The climax was different and well, as I said, the second half was a little low on gags and high on sentiments. But nevertheless, a good movie and the first half alone is justification to have the movie in your DVD collection.

The Last Blogger said...

Jagan
I guess I should have mentioned about the digital version of movie. I saw it in a conventional theater not having the digital technology and the print sucked big time. So many grains like shooting a pic in 640X480 and taking a 8X10 print of it. Words were not clear and as you rightly noted, felt like watching a thiruttu VCD print.

Narayanan Venkitu said...

I saw MEx and CKi this weekend.
Both of them are Ok...!! Not great.

Badri said...

Update from TN
Chandramukhi great opening.Doing very well.
Sachin-Not very satisfactory opening(thank god)
MumbaiExp huge flop except in Kamal stronghold-Chennai
I got to see only Chandramukhi.According to me Manichitratazhu(av seen it thrice) is a wow movie creatively and performance wise.Chandramukhi is better entertainment.

Badri said...

Update from TN
Chandramukhi great opening.Doing very well.
Sachin-Not very satisfactory opening(thank god)
MumbaiExp huge flop except in Kamal stronghold-Chennai
I got to see only Chandramukhi.According to me Manichitratazhu(av seen it thrice) is a wow movie creatively and performance wise.Chandramukhi is better entertainment.

ammani said...

It doesn't get any better than this. What shade of green am I?
Aside, good luck with the running. The reason I posted it again was that it is one achievement I am most proud of. Humour me, will you? ;)

The Last Blogger said...

Badri
CM is definitely an audience pleaser. It might not be as big as Padayappa but itll keep the Superstar in business. Sachien, well not my forte. ME definitely deserves better. Its a good comedy. Slightly experimental and the digital idea backfired big time. But it still deserves better.

The Last Blogger said...

Ammani
Well, you have a darling kid. Isnt that achievement enough to be compared with running the London marathon ?

Nth Dimension said...

"Level of enjoyment". Definitely. Even with self-indulging sequences in their (Rajini/Kamal) movies, overall the movies were entertainment for entertainment's sake. And that was immensely pleasing. For some reason, the current crop of Indian movies, while churning a few good ones, are too much into themselves and forget the audience. They pretend to pander to the intelligent audience and end up insulting their intelligence.

ammani said...

LB,
Running a marathon is a walk in the park compared to raising a child. Which is why I think women make excellent runners. We have done harder stuff. Of course, nothing comes remotely close to the joys of changing dirty diapers ;-)
-a

The Last Blogger said...

Ramesh
Well said. I definitely dont get much enjoyment from the current crop of movies. Of course there are exceptions but very rarely. I think most of the current crop underestimate the audience in a big way. Also, everyone wants that shortcut to success, the same which Rajini and Kamal had to work for decades to reach.

Ammani
Good one. I will of course not comment on it until that day when I experience it myself :)

Ranj said...

Planning to watch Mumb Exp this weekend. Will give my comments after that, but I'd be biased (being a kamal fan!)

ESPN.com - MLB

Engadget