Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Oru Manidhanin Kadhai


Oru Manidhanin Kadhai
Originally uploaded by geeky_rp.
My good friend George Costanza describes a baldist thus:
"A person who does not associate with bald people".

In a recent email conversation amongst a bunch of friends, this whole idea of baldness and how people react to it, came up. Certainly in the US, baldness is not considered as bad as most other places throughout the world (read India). One friend, who went from hairy to no-hairy over a period of five years, had this to say about it. The email is produced here verbatim.

" Atleast for gaining weight we can blame ourselves, but what can we do about going bald ... it is never in our control, so no point in feeling bad. also, being bald and hair(or lack of) is an issue only in India. Here, I have known personally from 95% of girls, nobody gives a damn(thankfully!).

I did some self analysis and psychologically analysed male baldness. we go through 4 psychological stages ....

1. Shock ... when we see the initial receeding hairlines (this happened to me in 4th year)

2. Denial ... we pretend not to notice the reduced hairline and try to hide it by combing accordingly and not even think about it (for me end of 4th year and initial year here in US)

3. Anger ... this is when no matter how much we try to hide by combing hair over or not notice ever increasing baldness, the hair loss has become so much that it will be noticeable. The anger part is a bit compounded by friends/family asking .... "thalaikku ennai thekkaraya illaya? ... en ivlo mudi kotti pochu?" etc etc. Sometimes when guys(mostly Indian since hair is never an issue for guys here) continue to tease we have an angry retort like "amaam mudi kotti pochu, otha adhukku enna ippo?" (for me the next 2-3 years in US).

4. Rejected Acceptance ... It is just there and we cannot do a damn. We painfully realize that we have to live with it. We look at old pictures once in a while and sigh inside. But we also start looking at bright side ... that hair is not that much of a big deal and try to find alternative ways of accentuating our personalities to cover up for a "physical" loss. This is also when we start making sarcastic jokes at our own baldness. (since last year for me)."

Now to make this even more interesting, I am posting 5 photographs from that same friend, capturing the essence of his writing. We had so much fun reading the email with the photos, I am sure everyone here will too. Click on the thumbnail image to see a bigger version in Flickr.

Note: Big Thanks to my friend AP who was gracious and sporting enough to share this image and his own words on the evolution with all of us. An additional thanks to fellow blogger Pradeep for pasting together multiple images to one cohesive pic.

23 comments:

saranyan r said...

that email thread was something :) I'm still laughing :)

Anonymous said...

Ranga, thanks for posting my pics and also my comments ... it is still so funny even to read my own writing for the nth time.

Jagan, thanks for the words of support, I guess I am way past the worrying stage.

By the way, I ended up sending this link to a bunch of my friends here, almost everyone found it to be a riot!

saranyan r said...

AP, uunoda sottai timeline la naanum oru part ah irundhirukkennu nenaikkum podhu...[~sivaji]

ammani said...

Very funny though unintentionally so. You're right, the takloo-vazhukkai jokes are so insensitive and yet, I've cracked some myself. Guilty, sir!

ioiio said...

Naan innum endha phaselayum enter aagala..(believe me..this is not phase 2)

As per Jagan.. Yosikkaradhey illanu nenaikkaren..Well.. I was born brilliant. Education ruined me..

ioiio said...

how abt this tile :
"Oru vazhukkaiyin Diary"

pradeep said...

Second that Jagan.
:)

saranyan r said...

ioiio, thats a superb title...ranga please do the honours :)

The Last Blogger said...

Fellow balding people (as George says, we are not bald but balding...there is a difference),
I shall make the title change soon. And while I understand the idea of too much thinking leading to baldness, I somehow cant put AP and that together. Now if someone says too much acting and loss of hair go together, makes perfect sense.

And yes, I am joining the merry band by the day.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Ranga. Me and thinking? I am drunk half the week and sober half the week. I would never use my few brain cells to think and end up with them getting over heated.

Roger Talks Roger Rocks said...

That was a nice one Dunga, I see a semblance of myself along those traces being in phase 1 as of now. It looks like a rat race is on among we people here.

ioiio said...

When u r drunk.. U can think a lot without other external concerns. When u r sober u think ur ass out trying to figure out what u were thinking when u were drunk..

Kootikazhihi paarunga.. Kanakku seria irukkum and innum konjam mudi kottum..

ioiio said...

Blogrolled u. Guess thats not an issue

The Last Blogger said...

ioiio
Thanks for the blogroll.
"Kootikazhihi paarunga.. Kanakku seria irukkum and innum konjam mudi kottum.."
Great comment. Still laughing.

Ja
Ellarum Phase 1 or more la dhan irukkom. No less.

Chakra said...

I read this story somewhere and have been freely quoting this since my college days..

God created beautiful heads & very ugly heads. For those who he gave ugly heads, he covered them up with hair.

idhu epdi irukku?

ioiio said...

Chakra.. I have an ugly head btw..

naan kooda engayo padichen..

God created beautiful heads & very ugly heads. For those who he gave ugly heads, he covered them up with hair but gave better brains.

Anonymous said...

Affordable hair implantation kidaikkum kaalathil yen ivvalavu feeling?

Me said...

ayoyo ayoyo.....unga fried stage one la irundha madhri nan irundha 2 yrs back.......ippo ennaku quarter size la rendu sideum sotta..baldunu sonna kooda ok sotta nu sonna dhan romba kastama irukkum....

ioiio said...

Sotta nu dhaan solraanga rhyming vera yedho solli proof ellaam kekkaliye..

adhu veraikkum nalladhu me..

Narayanan Venkitu said...

I am surprised why this thought of looking at Bald as sexy ...hasn't made it to India...which has imported several thoughts from West.

By the way, all these oils etc..IMHO don't work.

My hairline isn't bad but once I cut it real short to try and apply 'Neeli Bringadhi' oil. Our people say that the oil can even induce growth of hair even in the palms. All C R A P.!

One piece of advice. For all people living in the US, I read about a chlorine Filter (KDF filter) for the shower. It zeroes out the Chlorine from shower water. I am going to try it next week.

The Last Blogger said...

Chakra, ioiio
A reason for everything. Why not this?. As long as it makes us feel better :)
Me
As I said, we are all in different stages of the same process. What was you yesterday is me today. Ellam adhedhaan !
Narayanan
A LOT of people tell me that its all in the water. I took advice of a few people and stopped pouring warm water on the head. That is supposed to reduce the fall rate. Also, reducing chlorine is in the plans. Tell me how the shower filter works and maybe Ill take it up too.

Anonymous said...

Hi The Last Blogger, I have been visiting sites for hours and I really like what you have done with your blog. Informative and interesting! In fact I found your site just after
I visited medical hair restoration
It's not exactly what I was looking for but it was nonetheless interesting to read.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

ESPN.com - MLB

Engadget