Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Is it worth the price ?

I am heading into a contentious territory where I have debated with many over the last few months. A fellow blogger even wrote a related article on NASA and marketing, a few weeks back to great response and debate. I wouldnt want to take up the big picture but rather focus on one small area, portable music players and the now ubiquitous iPods. For more than a year now, I have drooled over getting myself an iPod. I knew it had much less functionality than many players out there. It was definitely more expensive than the rest of the pack and was more propreitary than most, if you want to put Sony's foolish Atrac NetMD systems at the top of the pile. But the industrial design of iPod and its siblings were enough to dispel all other problems away and let us marvel at the engineering and design that went behind this runaway bestseller.

This brings me to the question, is it really worth the price ?. I succumbed last evening to the lure myself and treated my wife to a iPod Shuffle, the least expensive sibling of the family. Like the rest of the iPod family, the Shuffle gives you some good stuff but also compromises on other useful stuff like a display, FM tuner and a voice recorder. The Creative Micro Muvo N200 has a similar configuration as the iPod Shuffle but with an added FM tuner and display for $30 more. I could have afforded the price. But, then it didnt have the charm of the Pod. As is the case with all other Apple products, are the looks worth the price ?. I certainly thought so and plunked a 100 bucks on it. The sound quality is exceptional and the looks are awesome. The comfort of use is good and so is the process of moving songs into the Shuffle using iTunes. But then you cannot move songs to the Shuffle without iTunes which sucks sometimes.

Time will tell if my decision was wise or not, but for now, my wife loves it and so do I !



7 comments:

saranyan r said...

But I think Apple products transcend the brand factor too. It cannot be compared to a similar brand name purchase, like a SONY VAIO instead of a HP Pavilion.
Its something like owning an Armani or a Versace suit... see what I'm saying.

everyone desires to own a top of the line fashion product and it is more than reasonable. just one buy, wouldn't hurt :)
Apple is one such name and its worth every penny.

The Last Blogger said...

Jagan
As you well know my obsession for brands is really what got me to buy this in the first place. Nevertheless, I am trying to figure out if there is any method to this madness.

Saran
The brand factor has apparently counted this time and as of now, it hasnt hurted :)

The Last Blogger said...

All the best with that, although if you are looking to pick up a Mini, Id recommend you either wait until the expected 5 GB version or try to do a good comparison with the Creative Zen Micro which looks good and is carrying some nice reviews.

pradeep said...

Long version:Reminds me of an article that I read in Wired. HERESays, brand loyalty which fueled market leaders has
vanished. Reason is information. Consumers are better
informed than ever before. So people who would've
bought a Sony not long time back stayed away from its
recently released Atrac. Reason being, it didnt allow
Mp3 (last read: Sony has revised its policy...if thats
what u meant by calling it 'foolish'). See. This is
great, coz as the article concludes the move is from
aristocracy to meritocracy. Cannot be better, for us.

Remove internet from the loop and you will see where
consumer's information is derived from. The "Do no
evil" motto of Google, and not just Google, if you
look at the list that Jagan mentioned, atleast 3 of
Top 5 have used similar sails (G, Apple, Aljazeera).
This has been one of the greatest gifts of the
internet age. .

Considering all the above (and hence linking to Ranga's
poser), it's easier to appreciate Apple's innovation.
Even if plainly put, their "iProducts" are just damn
sexy.

Short Version:Dude, you like something you buy it. With Jagan here.
No second thoughts [& you are married :) ].

"The iPod has made a lot more people interested in
Apple than Apple made people interested in the iPod".

The Last Blogger said...

Good points pradeep. The internet has indeed made buying a pleasure, guilty or not. You see the product, in this case the Shuffle for the first time and like it. You start visiting the site more often and read more reviews and articles. Soon you get to a point where you start loving the product as if its was yours. And it all culminates when you see it in front of you and its over. Next time around, you whip the credit card and the deal is done.

I dont regret my decision one bit. Was trying to rationalize it. Maybe these things are just left unrationalised and simply enjoyed :)

Ranj said...

I've been eyeing an iPod for a year too. See my friends with it... Maybe one day, I shall stop asking the question you jus did and go ahead and buy one!

The Last Blogger said...

Ranj
After about 10 days of use I can tell you, it rocks. Esp the autofill ability and the sound quality.

ESPN.com - MLB

Engadget