Monday, September 20, 2004

iPod Nation : A primer (as if you need one)

Earlier today, I posted a picture of me with my friend's iPod taken during a recent trip. The device was so cool, I was wowed enough to get myself snapped with it. It has been an interesting experience following the phenomenal growth of the iPod-iTunes combo right from the time Apple announced the iTunes store to the launch of the iPod in the US. While Apple has always been a pioneer in designing the uber-cool gadgets, it excelled even its own lofty standards with the iPod and its sibling, the iPod Mini. Today, the iPod is a part of every college student's wish list, if they havent gotten one already. In addition, the iPod Mini has firmly placed itself in the purses of the foremost of the world's fashionistas.

Today, geeks all over the world are trying to get the most out of their iPods and its accesories. There are a few hundred hacks dedicated to doing everything from using the iPod as a universal remote to reading the daily news using RSS feeds and to boot up your iMac with it. This website has many such hardware and software hacks for the interested many.

I have had a chance to play with the iPod and its wannabes, the Dell DJ and Creative Zen Touch. The Dell DJ is clunky and while it is about $50 cheaper than a comparable iPod, it does not allow the device to be used to store data unlike the iPod and does not have the click wheel to navigate easily between menus. The Zen Touch from Creative is much heavier than the iPod and the DJ and has a less than desirable playlist management system. Beyond all other factors, the iPod scores a grand slam in its coolness factor and sheer delight in handling comfort.

I have'nt been able to justify a $300 music device for myself, not to include the accesories and support plan which would altogether set me back by $400 but someday I hope I will. Until then I will continue to drool at all your Pods, which you can get at the Apple Store or the HP store .

Enjoy the music.

No comments:

ESPN.com - MLB

Engadget